Installing Laminate Floor in Indianapolis Homes
Laminate flooring is a popular choice for do-it-yourselfers because it is relatively easy to install. Sections are smaller and designed to interlock and click into place, floating over the subfloor without glue or fasteners. This means laminate flooring takes less time and costs less to install than vinyl.
For homeowners who want the expertise and peace of mind that comes with expert laminate flooring installation, the ProSand Install Team offers efficient start-to-finish laminate flooring installation service that can usually be done in less than a day. More importantly, we offer a lifetime warranty on installation.
An Overview: The ProSand Install Process
- Baseboards are carefully removed and set aside.
- If installation is over a concrete floor, a foam vapor barrier or regular foam underlayment is installed over six-mill plastic sheeting to prevent moisture from damaging the floor’s underside.
- Room is measured in relation to board length to ensure that first and last boards in each row will be at least eight inches for maximum visual appeal.
- Spacers are placed between laminate planks and adjacent walls to achieve manufacturer’s recommended expansion gap.
- Doorjamb is undercut with doorjamb saw to allow the new underlayment and flooring to slide neatly underneath jamb.
- The first few rows of laminate boards are placed approximately 2 feet from the starting wall, with ¼ – ½
- inch expansion space between the walls and the flooring around the perimeter of the room to accommodate for humidity expansion and contraction.
- Working from left to right, the subsequent rows are inserted by tongue and groove and popped into place with a tapping block and hammer for a snug fit. Boards are staggered for visual appeal.
- Boards are trimmed if the remaining space of the final row is narrower than the width of an uncut board. A pull bar and hammer is used to lock the last row in place.
- Wall spacers are removed, excess underlayment is trimmed and transition strips, baseboards and shoe molding is installed.
- We recommend that homeowners allow their floor to settle for 24 hours.